Time for the Old School to SCHOOL the New School punks of today!
(aka the LQ @ SK OFFICIAL Press Release Announcement)
(photo courtesy of Julian Fang/@DJJewelz)
Re: some relevant “mumbo-jumbo” about LQ FOODING AROUND @ Starry Kitchen (aka LQ @ SK)
Dear respective journalist with a slant and/or penchant towards news with a culinary slant:
(FYI- if you want to skip this jibba-jabba and get to the DEETS, just skip down to the… “DEETS” section below ^_^)
Have you heard about the acclaimed James Beard Award nominated Chef Laurent Quenioux FOODING AROUND @ crazy, cursing and banana suit wearing Starry Kitchen? NO! Well, here’s a convenient interwebs link before for you to peruse (at your leisure of course) to catch up on this fantastical news.
Now that we have THAT out of the way, how about we give you the long of the short of it in this “PRESS RELEASE”?!?!
Now it’s time to gather around for…bullet point summary STORY TIME of how this came to be (YAY!):
- A long long LONG time ago in galaxy far, far away (from the valley) there was 7th Street Bistro in DTLA
- (dramatic montage with lots of cool fades, wipes and music video jump-cuts fast forwarding through nearly 30 years of history)
- LQ and Team SK have a fateful meeting in early 2011 at Vertical Wine Bistro and become instant friends (HUZZAH!)
- Months later, LQ doesn’t have Bistro LQ anymore (BOO!)
- Thankfully, SK conveniently still does and calls up with this message: “Hey LQ, why don’t you come to SK and do your own THANG! You COULD go and “pop-up” with one of your fancy-schmancy friends (that we love & who also make tasty food too. ) OR do the unexpected- come to “CRAAAZY” SK and make WHATEVER YOU WANT (with lotsa of techno music as an added bonus)
- LQ loves SK
- SK loves LQ back
- LQ makes a decision to start FOODING AROUND @ SK (or “pop-up”, “pop-in”, “pop-out” or maybe even a “gelee jamboree”.. whatever you would like to call it)
- Months later LQ @ SK test-run happens (“fun times” soft run was Sun+Mon of this week
- Soft run already resulted in one beautiful “Love child” in a new LQ signature dish -> Teriyaki Rabbit Albondigas + Teriyaki Foie Gras
(photo courtesy of Danny Chen/@KungFoodPanda)
- And now LQ comes full circle back at where it all BEGAN in DTLA with a new beginning (a whole lot more techno) in LQ @ SK - “Celebrate good times, come ON!”
And there you have it. Thanks y’all.
Oh wait a minute, you probably want the deets too, huh?!
DEETS (aka “Details)
FYI-We WERE going to do it every two weeks, but we were like “F’ IT! Let’s go ALBONDIGAS OUT!” (I know, bad joke, and TEAM SK takes responsibility for this bad humor)
- LQ @ SK STARTS on June 5th and will only be serving on (stated) Sun-Tues nights only
- Starry Kitchen is located @ 350 S. Grand Ave, and is a fun place for friends, families & lovers too!
- Current schedule of dates: Jun 5-7, 13-14, 19, 20 (more dates to be added later
- Reservations can ONLY be made through the LQ reservation form (http://bistrolq.com/SurveyManager/display/sid/4) and will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis. Space is VERY limited for limited engagement dates! (no really, it IS!)
- Reservations are not set UNTIL an email confirmation is sent to customers
- Two seatings per night: 1st – 6:30p / 2nd – 8:30p
- For MOST of LQ@SK, we will be sticking to a $45 Prix Fixe Menu (OH YEAH!)
- Menu items will change whenever Chef LQ feels like it!
- No exceptions, no substitutions, and please… No cry babies (thank you!)
- For the time being, we are planning a 3-6 month run for LQ @ SK, but who knows
- PARKING (possibly the most important point): SK VALIDATES in DTLA for two parking garages -both California Plaza garages on Olive between 2nd + 4th, 350 or 300 S. Grand Ave lots
- And while people wait for June 5th, they can try the LQ Boudin Noir (w/ apple compote, mashed potatoes and mustard tapioca-liciousness) conveniently for lunch @ SK for the next 2 weeks
More about all of us:
Laurent Quenioux is a French food culinarian (we made that word up) and BADASS! If that’s not enough, more on him here:
Starry Kitchen (Nguyen & Thi Tran) are immature lovers of Asian food that still live in the apartment they started out of (illegally!) If that’s not enough, here’s how they started:
And FINALLY, this verbose, seemingly witty and yet chock full of useful winning life strategies “press release” has come to an end… and if you don’t believe TEAM SK wears a banana suit. Here’s Nguyen Tran with Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa below. Believe it!
(photo courtesy of TEAM SK’s blackberry camera | And Mayor Villaraigosa courtesy of just being there!)